Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Best Weather Day Since the 2015 Season Started


That's a point on which I think all 16 anglers in 11 boats would nod in agreement if I were to ask them what they felt was the one overriding factor in today's tournament. To think how badly the predicted weather for today had looked earlier in the week, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see the way the day dawned.



Finishing in 1st place today was the team of (from left) Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, who weighed five bass weighing a total of 12.61 lbs. They also captured big-bass honors with a 4.05-lb. bass that Bob caught about five minutes before weigh-in.










Sitting in 2nd place after the final tallies was Jim Bauer, who also brought a five-fish limit to the scales that rang up 12.36 lbs. total weight, anchored by a bass weighing 3.38 lbs.














In 3rd place at day's end was the team of Ronnie McLaughlin (pictured here) and his son, Chandler. Their five-fish limit weighed 9.46 lbs., and their big fish tipped the scales at 3.67 lbs.















Rounding out the winners was the team of Mike Miller (pictured here) and his partner, Chris Fretard. Their total weight was 6.36 lbs., compared to the 6.40 tab that was drawn. They didn't have a big fish.







Here's how the other contestants finished the day:

     * The team of Rob Peppers and Don Carter, five fish, 9.20 lbs. total weight, 2.30-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Rob Chatham and Ken Testorff, five fish, 8.30 lbs. total weight, 3.47-lb. big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, five fish, 8.18 lbs. total weight, 3.79-lb. big fish.
     * Jim Wilder, five fish, 7.77 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Bobby Moore, four fish, 5.27 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Gary Coderre, two fish, 3.32 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Skip Schaible, three fish, 2.93 lbs. total weight, no big fish.

Overall, the anglers today weighed a grand total of 49 bass with a total weight of 85.65 lbs. The average weight was 1.74 lbs.

Two more anglers--in the person of Skip Schaible and Ronnie McLaughlin--completed their qualifications to fish the season-ending two-day Classic. That brings the number to 11 who are now eligible to fish this event.

For planning purposes, our next tournament is scheduled for next Saturday, June 13th. Start time will be safe light (probably about 5:30 a.m.), with weigh-in at 2 p.m. Registration will close approximately 5:15 a.m. Make plans now to join us.


Rob and I had a nice day, starting with a topwater bite far surpassing any we've had in recent memory. We quickly put three fish in the livewell and lost a couple others en route to the boat that might have made a big difference at day's end. We managed to ultimately put a five-fish limit together but once again came up short. We're both committed to getting over the hump this year and finishing in the money at least once.

I can truly say that, from my perspective, all the stars must have been lined up exactly right today, because I can't remember the last time I had the kind of luck that seemed to be riding on my shoulder all day. It didn't matter if my lure landed atop a giant stump, in a tree, or you-name-it. On each and every such occasion, I got my lure back without having to ask Rob to go get it for me. It was so uncanny I had Rob literally shaking his head in disbelief by the end of the day. I told him "the old Ken" undoubtedly would be back next trip, so not to try and hold my toes to the fire for a repeat performance of what I pulled off today.

No comments:

Post a Comment