Saturday, June 13, 2015

Tough Conditions, Tough Fishing


A number of today's 13 competitors in nine boats were heard to comment about the sweltering weather today and the tough bite they had all day. If we're honest, though, we have to admit that we were duly forewarned about the weather well in advance by all the local weather dudes and subsequently should have surmised that the bite likely would be less than stellar. Despite these factors, we still had some great camaraderie and, of course, some winners.


Standing tall in 1st place at day's end was the team of (from left) Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, who brought five bass to the scales. Their total weight, after a 0.50 deduction for two dead fish, was 10.70 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.20 lbs.









Laying claim to 2nd place was the team of John Matyiko and Mark Cable (not pictured). They, too, had five bass, with a total weight of 10.19 lbs. Their big fish tipped the scales at 3.98 lbs., which was good enough to win the day's lunker pot for John.













Winner of today's mystery-weight drawing was the team of Lenny Hall and Gary Coderre (not pictured). They had four fish for a total weight of 4.61 lbs., with no big fish. The drawn weight was 4.85.







Here is how all the other contestants finished:
    
     * Wayne Hayes, five fish, 8.58 lbs. total weight, 2.40-lb. big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, five fish, 8.14 lbs. total weight, 2.64-lb. big fish.
     * Chris Fretard, five fish, 6.68 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, four fish, 6.00 lbs. total weight (after 0.50 penalty for two dead fish), 3.00-lb. big fish.
     * Jim Bauer, two fish, 2.48 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Cody Cousineau and P. J. Kirschner, two fish, 1.86 lbs. total weight, no big fish.

Overall, the anglers today weighed a total of 37 bass for a combined total weight of 59.24 lbs. The average weight was 1.60 lbs.

Completing his requirements today to fish the two-day season-ending Classic was Lenny Hall. The addition of his name to the list makes a total of 12 anglers now qualified.

For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, June 27th, from safe light (probably about 5:15 a.m.) to weigh-in at 2 p.m.


Armed with more than twice as much drinking water as I usually carry on a fishing trip, I turned south out of West Neck this morning and headed to Milldam. I was determined to restore a degree of confidence in being able to catch fish there after having my fanny handed to me the last time.

My plan was to fish topwater for the first couple hours or so, then try some spinnerbaits and/or crankbaits. If all that failed, I would go to my arsenal of Senkos.

I was nearly two hours into the day before I had my first pass on a topwater bait. The fish swirled under the bait but nothing more. The same thing happened about three more times in the next 45 minutes--all with the same negative results. I tried some spinnerbaits and crankbaits, also with no luck. It was time to break out the Senkos and get serious. In no time, I felt my first pick up, let the fish run a good ways, then set the hook.

I stayed with the Senko until I left Milldam about an hour before weigh-in and managed to catch three keeper bass, the biggest a 3-pounder. The problem, though, was that I ended up gill-hooking two of the bass because I let them run so long, and both ultimately died. That's what I get for letting those tail-biters in West Neck alter my philosophy.

The last hour in West Neck yielded one 12-inch bass on a Senko. Imagine my surprise to see a West Neck bass actually come in the boat by way of this bait, given what has been happening lately.

In the final analysis, I couldn't get hooked up with a fifth fish before weigh-in. I had some opportunities that just didn't pan out during the course of the day. And so, I continue my pursuit of a day when everything finally comes together and sees me finish in the money. Surely, the law of averages will catch up to me one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment