Sunday, June 7, 2015

Giving Credit Where It's Due

Ever since we lost our esteemed founder and leader, Dewey Mullins, there has been one person at the forefront, helping me keep the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series alive and functioning smoothly. And I figure it's high time to give this man a little bit of the recognition he so justly deserves.

For the benefit of those who haven't figured out whom I'm talking about, it's none other than Gary Coderre (right). This friend, angling buddy, and fellow retired Navyman has been nothing short of an "energizer bunny" when it comes to getting things done.

For example, back when I needed help getting some copies made of different documents, he was Johnny on the spot. When a solo angler shows up tourney morning and needs a hand getting his rig in the water, whether it be backing the vehicle down the ramp or tending a line, Gary's your man. He's also always available to assist with the inspection of livewells or help with weigh-in and/or cleanup afterward. On numerous occasions, too, he's my cameraman for the presentation of money envelopes following a tourney.

With Gary, it's always a matter of "ask, and ye shall receive," and much of the time, you don't even have to ask. When he sees something that needs to be done, he just does it--and never comes looking for a pat on the back afterward.

Those are admirable traits by anyone's standards, but there's more to Gary's story that sets him apart from most others. He does all these things, despite having to deal with some health issues. Heading that list is Crohn's disease. But since the first of this year, a couple more items have been added to the list.

Gary was laid up with a fractured left wrist and three separated tendons in his left shoulder as the result of a workplace accident. He also had surgery on his left bicep muscle and still is undergoing therapy.

He only returned to fishing the end of March and now is dealing with a new problem--kidney stones, something with which I'm more than a little familiar. That, however, wasn't enough to keep Gary away from yesterday's tourney or being his usual helpful self. He did all the same things he always does.

Don't mistake the fact I have several others who either have and/or still do help me keep our tourney series going, and I'm indeed grateful to all of them. It's just that Gary has been there for me since I first took over for Dewey as tournament director.

I've said from the beginning I'd never be able to fill Dewey's shoes, and these past couple of years have proven that statement to be true. I still don't have a clue how Dewey single-handedly did everything I have required a network of helpers to accomplish. With Gary's assistance, I'm closer to the mark than I ever would have been otherwise, and for that, I'll always be in his debt.

I take my hat off to you, my friend. Thanks for having my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment