Wednesday, June 24, 2015

If It Hadn't Been for Those Tail-Biters, 'Twould've Been a Better Day


I'm beginning to wonder if this tail-nippin' of plastic worms ever is going to end. Reckon I should be thankful that at least some of the bass are grabbing the "business end," as evidenced by this 1-4, which was the best fish of three that I put in the boat today while fishing a Senko. Caught all three down in Albright's.

With all the cloud cover early this morning, I would have bet that the topwater bite would be off the charts. As it turned out, however, the topwater bite was nonexistent. The best I could muster was a couple of half-hearted swirls from fish as I drug a buzzbait by points. By 8:15--two hours after I had launched--I decided to put away all the topwater stuff and see if I could find a spinnerbait or crankbait bite.

I did manage to boat one small white perch with a crankbait, but nothing on the spinnerbait. At this point, I picked up the Senko, and the bites started almost immediately. Counting those fish that snatched only the tail, I easily had eight or nine hits. Most bites came when you tossed the worm right up next to a wind-blown grassline or to a piece of wood--be it a tree, stump or laydown. Later in the day, I had a couple of fish take my Senko on a point.

Overall, it was a decent day. The water in West Neck was brown this morning, which is why I ended up heading to Albright's--that and the high level. As I figured, the water in Albright's was in good shape.



Launching just ahead of me again this morning was my ol' friend, Tom Acree. I wasn't surprised to find that his brain works just like mine. When the water is high and/or muddy, he usually heads to the back of Albright's.

As I rounded the last bend before reaching the tree line in Albright's, there sat Tom. I quickly came off step and stopped to chat a spell as I neared his boat. We swapped notes after we both had come off the water, too. He ended the day with four bass, not including all the tail-biters he also had to deal with.

This past Saturday, Tom caught 15 bass, then backed that up on Monday with another 25. His best bait for all these fish has been and continues to be soft plastics. He didn't ask me to keep his areas anonymous, but given the fact he may be fishing Saturday's tournament with us, I'm doing so on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment