Saturday, June 20, 2015

News on the Run

 
(NEW) Latest Additions to West Neck Marina
 
Received an email from my good friend, Skip Schaible, today (6/29/2015), telling me about what he found during his most recent visit to the marina. As you'll see, if you click on this photo to enlarge it, red, white and blue solar lights now line the catwalks at the ramp. These lights compliment clear ones that extend around the water's perimeter in the vicinity of the marina.
 
 
Check Out This Weather Website
 
When you have a few extra minutes, check out the new element with this banner that I've added to the sidebar along the right side of my blog. The banner in the sidebar is interactive, which means if you click on it, you'll be taken to the aviation weather website. As heralded by Kayaker Charlie, who sent the link to me, "It's a lot better forecast than you get from the TV guys, especially for short-term wind speeds." He got the link from our mutual friend, Ray Scott, a docent of the Virginia Beach Military Aviation Museum and retired aviator. I see this website as another tool to use in planning my fishing days.

 
What's Up With All These Signs?
 
Received an email from Kayaker Charlie yesterday, telling me that Godfrey Creek now is full of "No Fishing" and posted signs. "Didn't think you could post a creek," he said. Asked if I knew anything about the situation.
 
Told him all I had heard is that the mud bar at the mouth of Godfrey has gotten considerably wider and people need to be extra careful trying to get in there now.
 
I subsequently sent a note to Chad Boyce, the local VDGIF agent, asking if he knows what all the signs are about and will post his response once I get it.

***UPDATE***

Here is Chad's June 29, 2015 email response: "I rode up into Godfrey's Creek last week, and I do not believe the signs that you mention are intended for 'no fishing.' Rather, I believe they were posted for hunting purposes, as they are only located on two trees at the mouth of the creek... ."
 
 
Marine Patrol Back on Duty
 
Have been told by the folks at West Neck Marina that, after a lengthy absence, the Virginia Beach Police Marine Patrol once again is monitoring the waters of North Landing on weekends. Am also advised that they aren't always just letting violators off with a warning--they are issuing tickets.
 
That being said, I would caution everyone to make sure you have all the proper safety equipment aboard your boats and other watercraft, as well as fishing licenses, registrations, etc., as required. Otherwise, you'd better hope Lady Luck is riding with you.
 

This Flyer Is Deceiving
 
If you're like me and subscribe to flyers from some of the tackle stores across the countryside, you may have received a flyer in your email in the last day or two from Outlet Bait & Tackle, announcing a sale on the Bomber Square A in craw/chartreuse belly color. The sale price of $1.76 each indeed is eye-catching but not as much so as a statement near the bottom of the flyer. It read as follows: "The Square A has been discontinued, and we have some of the only remaining stock. We don't have many, so if you love this lure, you should buy several or more sets while you can."
 
Well...I smelled a rat and decided to do a little investigating. I emailed Bomber Lures (actually Lurenet.com now). I told 'em what I had read in the flyer and asked if there was any truth to it, and guess what? Turns out my suspicions were right. There are no plans to discontinue the Bomber Square A, so if you haven't already placed your order for a lifetime supply, don't, 'cause there ain't no need to for the time being.
 
The good folks at Lurenet asked if I'd mind sharing a link to where I had gotten the cock 'n' bull story to start with, and I happily obliged. Ya' gotta really watch out these days, 'cause it seems like there's a shyster at every corner. Incidentally, if you'd like to see the flyer I'm talking about for yourself, here's the link I sent Lurenet: http://www.overstockbait.com/bomber-square-a-craw-chart-belly-color/?utm_source=15_06_5_Blast+Off_SquareA&utm_campaign=150619SquareA&utm_.

UPDATE: I received another email from my contact at Lurenet this morning (6/22/2015) and learned that the problem boils down to misleading phraseology in the flyer. The craw/chartreuse belly-colored Bomber Square A indeed is being discontinued, but not the whole line, as their choice of words leads you to believe.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Ken, always great to read your blog. It is very informative and useful. I appreciate all the great information.

    Thank you Doc Murdock

    ReplyDelete