Monday, February 10, 2014

Save the Real Deal--Go for the Cheap Look-Alikes

A few days ago, I was talking about my hesitation to throw these high-dollar Sebile Magic Swimmer swimbaits (pictured at right) in the North Landing River, but that was before I had a discussion with my friend, Charlie, who shared an alternative with me. He simply suggested that I look around on the Internet for some unpainted look-alikes.

I followed his advice and found a seller on eBay offering lots of 10 look-alikes for only $10, and that's with free shipping. I'm no mathematics whiz, but it doesn't take a whiz to figure out that's a good deal.

I subsequently ordered a lot of 10 look-alikes (as seen in the photo at left). It took some digging to find these, and they may not work quite as well as the "real deal" in the photo above, but there's one big advantage. "You don't feel bad about losing one or two of these lures on the bottom in the water we fish," to use Charlie's words. You just retie and keep on casting.

The only piece of business left to this story is getting a few of the blanks painted up for the acid test, but I have that issue covered.

Will these bargain baits catch any fish? I'll have to get back to you on that score after I have a chance to use them this spring and summer--surely this nasty weather will be gone by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment