Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Charlie's Students Learn Their Lessons Well


I say that because of what I observed on the water today. In the distance was a young man fishing one of Charlie's favorite areas exactly the same way I've observed my friend do it oh so many times. And he was catching fish just like Charlie routinely does. The similarities were so evident that I knew, before I even could talk to the young man, that he was a close follower of my friend's blog. I was certain there was more to this situation than mere coincidence.

Here's a photo of the best of three bass that Max boated today while fishing a stretch of West Neck. It tipped the scales at 2-5. The other two went 1-10 and 0-14. His lucky baits were a Storm swim shad and a Rapala minnow.

While Max was putting these three fish in the boat, I simply kept flailing in the wind. I fished a mylar minnow, a Mann's baby 1-minus, a Strike King 1XS, and a Bandit 200, without feeling the first confirmed strike. I had a few bumps with the 200 that felt like fish perhaps taking a half-hearted swipe at the bait, but that's about as close as I got to the "real deal."

So, on a day when it was all I could do just to keep my hat on my head, I recorded my first skunk of the 2014 season. I worked hard to dodge this bullet, but it just wasn't in the cards. There undoubtedly will be more before the season ends, so I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over this first blank.

Besides, I have other things to concern myself with. My starting battery nearly let me down this morning, so I stopped and got a new one on the way home this afternoon and plan to get it installed sometime tomorrow. I also have to decide whether I want to try stretching my trolling batteries through another season.

In the meantime, let me say "congrats" to you, Max, on your catch today. Good luck next time, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment