Friday, February 21, 2020

IMO, the Price of Men's Toys Is Getting Out of Hand

Received an email from my friend Tom yesterday, asking if I would help him research the cost of some spiral-wrapped rods. Seems the best he could find to date was $199. I agreed to see if I could help and set about doing some online research.

As most of you probably recall, I recently did a blog post about the new line of KastKing spiral-wrapped rods that are coming out, supposedly with a price tag somewhere under $149. My latest research last night and today revealed a price range of $99.99 to $129.99 for a Spiralite Maverick spiral-wrapped rod. That was the best news I could give Tom today.

Now get a hello to the bad news I had to give him. Edge Black Widow spiral-wrapped rods (see photo top left) are currently retailing for...take a deep breath now...as much as a whopping $560 apiece. This much is a certainty: You either would have to think very highly of your skills on the water, or you must "have more money than brains," as the old saying goes, to make a purchase like that.

It's evident to me that Tom sees his status the same way I do mine, 'cause we neither one jumped online and filled out an order form.

Granted, I have paid $25 apiece for a few fishing lures, but that's a far cry from $560 for one fishing rod...even if it would enable me to cast from one bank to the other without a backlash. There simply isn't a soul on Planet Earth that could talk fast enough to persuade me to make such a purchase.

Tom thanked me for my help, then added, "It seems that I am better off using my Mojo bass rods." In similar fashion, I'll stick to my St. Croix Premiers. They're more than satisfactory for catching anything I've encountered to date on the North Landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment