Monday, February 17, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020



Monday, Feb. 17 (from Ron)...While I was gone, new fencing was installed in my yard, and the workers left a 3-to-4-inch gap between the fence and ground...more than enough for the little dog or cat to escape. I spent all day Saturday installing varmint wire along about 100 feet of backyard fence, all the while wishing I were fishing. Launched this morning about 0830 and fished Milldam Creek. Caught two small bass at 11 and 13 inches by 1030. The wind proved more than I expected, and because I was under-dressed, decided to transit the two miles back to launch site. Threw a micro-spinner all the way and caught a 2-4, 2-14 and 3-11 as a reminder of how much fun it is to feel a bend in the rod. During the trip, I threw 3-inch jerkbaits (XTS Minnow), beetlespins, and a shallow crankbait, but the bass only were interested in the micro-spinner. Lost one medium-sized chain pickerel alongside the yak but still was fine with the overall outcome.

Tuesday, Feb. 18 (from Ken)...Given the miserable weather forecast for the remainder of this week, I wasn't about to sit home today. Besides, my boat needed to be run a little bit. It has been several weeks since it was out of the shed. Took a little bit of crankin' to get it to fire this morning, but it eventually took off, and I eased up above West Neck Bridge and started fishing. Went through six different baits without having the first pass at anything I was throwing. That all changed, though, when I tied on a red craw crankbait. Before I quit about 2:45, I had boated a total of seven bass, including four dinks, plus a 1-2, 1-8 and 1-12. Also had a couple more pull off on this bait before I could get them to the boat. 'Twas a nice day, and I really enjoyed myself. Saw about three other boats on the water, including Rob P. and Dave, who were fishing together today. Don't know how their day went.

Wednesday, Feb. 19 (from Ron)...Missed the nice warm weather yesterday because of a doctor's appointment. Figured I would get out today while the getting was good but chilly. Fished Milldam from 3:30 to 5:30 and ended up with two dink bass, plus a 1-2, 1-4, 1-5, and 2-3, as well as a decent crappie and a nice slime dart. Was surprised the bite was good, considering the conditions, but I'm not complaining. XTS Minnow and micro-spinner were all I threw, and both were working. Oddly, the bass were in the bends of the main creek. I never even ventured into my comfort zone of the feeder creeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment