Monday, February 24, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, March 1, 2020



Monday, Feb. 24 (from Ken)...If my luck--actually, the lack thereof--today is an accurate barometer, anyone who chose to do anything other than go fishing made a smarter decision. Between about 8:45 and 1:45, I fished both directions in West Neck without a single tap on anything, including jerkbaits, crankbaits and a chatterbait. I didn't feel real good about my chances after taking one look at the water color this morning. With a threat of rain in the forecast and lacking a rainsuit, though, I wasn't about to make the run to Albright's, which likely would have put me on some better looking water. Accordingly, I just made do with West Neck and came up with my first goose egg of the season. The water temp when I launched this morning was 39, and it had risen to 43 by the time I quit. Only one other boat launched at West Neck after me, and he, like me, quit about the time a second round of light showers showed up. The idea of getting soaked on a day like today is anything but appealing to most folks, or so I would think. Sure don't want to come down with the crud, not with a new tournament season just around the corner. Need to stay healthy.

Monday, Feb. 24 (from Ron)...Returned to Milldam. Launched this afternoon, and the conditions were similar: dirty water. After about a mile, heading east from Blackwater Road, started to find some clearer water. Lost two fish and caught two bass: a 13-incher at 1-4 and a 15-incher at 1-14, both on the micro-spinner. The bites came in the main creek. The feeder creeks didn't produce a nibble. Sure was nice to be out, and the rain stayed away, so that was a bonus.

Friday, Feb. 28 (from Ron)...Caught the skunk at Back Bay Wednesday evening. Made for the third skunk out of the last four outings, so when I launched today, I wasn't expecting much. Fished Ashville Bridge Creek from 3 to 6 p.m. The bass were definitely biting, and I caught 10 between 3:30 and 4:20 p.m. (bite shut down after 4:30). Among them were a handful of 1 to 1.5 pounders, as well as a 2-5, 2-7 and a 3-7. Was pleasantly surprised to have the rod bent and some drag paying out. Nine fell to the micro-spinner, and one was foul-hooked on the XTS. Lost about three, and had a nice crappie on near sunset that threw the beetlespin. It was very cold and windy and the sunset recovery found me without much feeling in the fingertips, as I forgot gloves. But all was worth it.

Sunday, March 1 (from Ron)...Launched Munden Point Park at about 0900. Caught a single 1-14 bass at 1241. Covered almost six miles and didn't find a single panfish, which was the target. Of course, the bass hit my trolled beetlespin under a bobber on the ultralight, so was a great little battle. Rested a bit, then launched Ashville Bridge Creek (low water) at about 1600. Right about sunset, caught the targeted crappie at 10.5 inches. After the sun went down, it got cold, but overall a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment