Saturday, December 28, 2019

For Week Ending Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019



It doesn't take rocket science to figure out cabin fever already is sitting in when the parking lot at West Neck Marina is filled to capacity the Saturday after Christmas. I fully expected to see some duck hunters and fishermen when I got there at 8:30 this morning, but nothing like what greeted me. And in the time it took me just to throw a couple of rods and boxes in Dave's boat, three more boats launched ahead of us. Can't say I blame anyone who turned out for a little fishin' today, 'cause the day was indescribably gorgeous. The fog I heard predicted on last night's weather forecast never materialized, and with only 5-10-mph winds, you simply could not have asked for anything better. Talked to one fella first thing this morning who fished Wednesday and told me that he had nine bites and caught eight fish, including a couple in the 3-pound class. He went again today, but I wasn't able to get a report. In any event, immediately below is one report I did get via email, along with how the day turned out for Dave and me.

Saturday, Dec. 28 (from Ron)...I returned to familiar fresh water for this beautiful Saturday morning. Fished Milldam from 9 to 12:00 and caught 10 bass. The majority were in the 11- to 13-inch range, and I got one decent fish that gave a decent tug. Micro spinner and U-Vibe worms were the ticket. Stumbled onto one small chain pickerel and was surprised there were not more. Trolled around the Beetlespin but couldn't find any panfish.

Saturday, Dec. 28 (from Dave and Ken)...I was sitting in one of my comfy chairs yesterday when the cellphone rang, and I subsequently heard Dave invite me to join him for a trip to West Neck this morning. As I told him when we met up this morning, he must have been reading my mind, 'cause that's exactly what I was thinking about at the time he called. We started our day above the bridge, but when the water didn't clear up, and the fish wouldn't bite, we decided to check things out in the other direction. The bite still was extremely slow, but we managed to put four bass in the boat before we decided to investigate what Pocaty had to offer. For openers, it was the best-looking water we saw all day. And our decision paid off with 10 more bass before we called it quits about 3 o'clock. Of the 14 total, about half would have been tournament keepers. As far as we're both concerned, the day was well worth our investment of time. Truly enjoyed every minute of it. And more importantly, the edge has been removed from our cabin fever...at least for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment