Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right

I've lived my whole life with that philosophy, and it has served me well. Let me share an example of what I'm talking about.

A friend recently sent me the photo of a local fella holding a bass that "allegedly" topped the 9-lb. mark. Supposedly, the fish had been caught in West Neck Creek. [12/12/2019 Update: Learned today that a couple of local veteran anglers saw this fish firsthand the day it was caught, and they estimated its weight at only 5+ lbs.]

After looking at the photo, I had a couple questions: What kind of scales were used to weigh the fish? and "Did the angler take action to obtain a state citation for his catch?

The answer I received to my first question was "just a pair of scales he had in the boat." And I was told the angler had rejected the idea of pursuing a state citation. Why? I don't have a clue.

This whole situation sounded half-baked, and I subsequently decided not to post the picture on this blog because, among other things, I felt it likely would create more questions than it answered.

For the sake of comparison, consider this example of a different big-bass story that another friend brought to my attention yesterday. Wired2Fish editors did the report in this case. The text described angler Kenta Kimura as catching a 15.65-lb. (7.1 kilograms) bass from Japan's Lake Biwa. It also was noted that the fish had fallen for a Strike King 10XD crankbait in pearl/black splatter with chartreuse color scheme. The text concluded with the fact the 10XD is a 6-inch crankbait that can dive to 25 feet.

The accompanying photos complement the facts, which demonstrates what I mean by "doing things right." You don't need to be so specific about "just another bass," but when you're talking about a potential citation, it calls for a little extra effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment