Sunday, December 15, 2019

Bad Luck Comes to All Who Fish...

And, yes, that includes kayak anglers. Just ask Adam Riser, an accomplished kayak and tournament fisherman.

As reported for Wired2Fish by Jason Sealock, "Riser was floating on a river this week with friends and fishing some laydowns. He got a bite while his line was over a log, set the hook, and the flipping bait and hook, along with tungsten weight, loaded up and 'sling-shotted' like a bullet into his mouth. He subsequently pulled his hand away from his mouth, and it contained blood and teeth fragments."

"I've dodged dozens of lures coming back at me," said Riser, "but I never even saw this one. My buddies' faces had horrified looks when I glanced at them with chunks of teeth and blood falling from my mouth. Still had an hour of the float left. Since it wasn't hurting me, we stopped and fished a few holes before loading up."

Noted Sealock, "I gave him some grief about it and said, 'Dude, I love that part. No need to pass up a good stretch on account of a few missing teeth.'"

The victim replied, "Those smallmouths aren't going to catch themselves."

Riser's two front teeth are completely gone now. "As awful as it looked," he said, "it was relatively painless for some reason. I'm just glad it didn't hit my eye or temple. Definitely could have been worse. I'll look into some new teeth after the New Year. In the meantime, I'm going to be a toothless bum for the holidays."


With thanks to Jim B. for sending this item to me. It reminded me of a trip I once made to Lake Anna while stationed at the Pentagon. Was launching my boat on a really steep ramp early one morning. I had left the winch strap on and was using it to inch the boat down the incline when the handle suddenly got away from me. A couple of quick spins later, it whacked me square in the mouth. Didn't lose any teeth but had some knocked loose, which I promptly shoved back into place as best I could, rinsed my mouth out with some lake water, and went on fishing. Don't mind telling you my mouth was sore by the time I quit that evening. However, I was back to normal a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment