Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Angler for All Seasons Calls It a Year

I'm talking, of course, about my kayaker buddy, Ron Ameika. Just received his year-end stats, along with a fishing report for today, and thought I would give it and him some special treatment.

After all, this is a guy who really does fish anywhere, anytime, in all kinds of weather--bar none. I can't tell you how many times I've received fishing reports from him on days when you couldn't have paid me enough money to go fishing..in your boat, even, let alone mine.

That's just the kind of fella Ron is. It likely comes partly from the fact he's a retired member of the Navy's special operations community, but he also loves to fish, and he further likes to help others. I still remember the winter he came to my house and shoveled all the snow off my driveway and wouldn't take one red cent for doing it. That's what I call being a real shipmate.

Click anywhere on this chart for a bigger version.

In his emails to me today, Ron (left) said he had closed out 2019 with a trip to Ashville Bridge Creek, where he caught two dink bass, a small 15-inch slime dart, and a nice 2-14 bass (see top photo) that, to borrow his words, "made my day." He went on to explain that his number of trips this year was way down, mostly because of too much business travel, but he said, "I still caught some good ones."

He also expressed hope to increase his number of outings next year.

In 174 trips during 2019, Ron paddled 495 miles, encompassing 443 hours and 30 minutes. That compares to 261 trips in 2018, when he logged 882 miles, encompassing 708 hours and 44 minutes.

I can't even begin to imagine what that much paddling in a kayak would do to my gimpy left leg. I think a bank worker the other day thought I was having some sort of meltdown while seated in a chair with very limited leg room between it and her desk. The pain was causing me to resort to desperate means to find a little relief, and the look on her face told me that she was beginning to have some doubts about what was going on with all my gyrations. However, I digress.

Getting back to the focus of this item, I have to hand it to Ron for his dedication to chasing fish, regardless of species, and in all kinds of weather. He indeed is a special breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment