Monday, December 16, 2019

Ever Been Lost on the Water?

If you have a GPS unit, the likely answer to that question is no. But not everyone has one of those units, which makes it important that you make sure you always have a cellphone at your disposal.

I still remember an incident from way back in 1977, when I first started fishing the North Landing River and its tributaries. I had decided to check out Milldam Creek for the first time. Come the end of the day, I wrapped up all my gear and started idling my way back to the main creek. In no time, I found myself making decisions that only led to deadends. Fortunately, I heard the hum of an outboard that I knew had to be running the main creek, and I just started following the direction from whence that sound seemed to be coming. I eventually started seeing things I remembered from the trip in and soon was on the main creek, headed for the launch ramp. For a couple trips afterward into that same area, I used fluorescent ribbons to mark the winding turns, so I wouldn't get lost again.

Today, I was reading about a couple of summertime anglers who had gone fishing together at an unfamiliar lake. After a morning that had produced a couple of fish for each, they decided to start home before the heat became unbearable. They, too, couldn't find their way to the boat ramp at first and had to drive around until they found the right cove, which had the ramp they had used to launch their boat. Turns out they burned more gas finding the ramp than they had used to find fish.

Pro bass angler and outdoor writer Tom Lester offers the following tips:

"It is always important to familiarize yourself with landmarks when going out on the water, especially if you're making your first trip. A boat house, a large rock at the mouth of a creek, a peculiar looking tree, or anything else you can use to mentally mark your location is always a good idea.

"With the technology of a GPS, it's a good idea to mark a waypoint at the ramp before heading out on the water. I know I've used mine to help me find the exact location of the boat ramp after a long day of fishing on a new lake. These units have become more affordable and user-friendly over the past few years.

"In the event you do become lost, the first thing to do is to stay calm and not panic. Most lakes will have some place you can stop and ask for directions, such as a marina or another boat dock. You also can ease up to someone else on the water and ask for directions. Most people are more than willing to help you out.

"Finally, it is always a good idea to carry a cellphone with you in the boat. This can be a lifesaver in the event of an emergency. I have known more than one individual who had to use their cellphone to call for help after witnessing an accident on the water or being involved in one themselves."

As for the two anglers who got lost on an unfamiliar lake, they fortunately had enough drinks and cigars to help pass the time until they found their way back to the ramp.

No comments:

Post a Comment