Thursday, February 7, 2019

When the Urge Gets Too Strong To Resist


A couple weeks ago, while I was researching the Internet for some articles and videos on different subjects, I ran across an item about a lure that didn't prompt me to take any action on first read. Instead, I let it rest for a few days, while I continued my Internet research...and coincidentally continued finding additional articles and videos about this particular bait.

To get down to the nitty gritty, I finally reached the point where I couldn't resist the urge to buy a few of these lures, so I could give 'em the acid test. Yesterday (Wednesday, Feb. 6) was D-day for that test, albeit not a part of my plans when I first hit the water in the morning. I actually had talked myself out of throwing this bait at all yet. But then came 1 o'clock, about the same time the wind kicked in with a vengeance, and I hadn't had the first smell.

I put my rod down, walked back to my tacklebox, and snatched a couple of the baits that only had arrived at the house Tuesday afternoon before I got home from West Neck. After tying on the first bait, I tossed it toward the shoreline, took all of two cranks on the reel, and bam! I felt a solid hit, which yielded a dink. A very few minutes later, the same thing happened again...and again. After boating those first three fish, I decided to change colors, which I figured probably would kill the bait's bite, but I wanted to know for sure. Lo and behold, the bite only picked up, and it continued all the way to the end of the day.

Wish I could tell you what this bait is, folks, but if I did, I'd then have to shoot you (only kidding, of course), so for that reason, this bait is simply going to be known as my INT No. 2. Have no idea how long this "catching" phenomenon will last, but you can bet one thing: I'll ride it to the end of the rainbow and back. Incidentally, I've already ordered some more color variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment