Tuesday, February 5, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019



Tuesday, Feb. 5 (from Ron)...Got skunked Saturday and Sunday, but on Sunday, I had something on (in Muddy Creek), which gave me hope, even though he threw the hook. After nine straight skunks, I just had to get out and enjoy the decent weather this afternoon. Fished Milldam Creek, where I surprisingly saw some bait, as well as some grass and caught a fish. Landed a 1-13 on the micro spinnerbait and had a few taps and swirls. Gauge was a dreadful 1.7, but it was beautiful out there. Lots of ducks and even a few turtles. Maybe this warmup will turn 'em on. Really surprised I can't find any panfish. Been way too long since I had some fish tacos!




Tuesday, Feb. 5 (from Skip)...After weeks of being landlocked, Skip dropped his boat in the water at West Neck today and aired it out a little bit. He also did some fishing. By day's end, he had boated two bass--both on a finesse worm.





Tuesday, Feb. 5 (from Ken)...Meanwhile, I, too, found a couple of small bass, along with a pickerel. My action came on a couple of crankbaits and a jerkbait. Skip mentioned that he saw some 55-degree water, but some was running in the high 40s to about 51 degrees. All of our fish came out of West Neck. We both echo Ron's comment about it being beautiful on the water today. Water above the bridge today was, by far, the clearest. The vast majority of the stretch going toward the main river was pretty muddy.

Wednesday, Feb. 6 (from Ken)...With another nice day in the offing, I wasn't about to sit home. Instead, I grabbed my gear and headed to West Neck again this morning. The weather didn't disappoint, and, as it eventually turned out, neither did the fishing. Everything happened in the last hour and a half. I grabbed a crankbait about 1 o'clock, and for the next 90 minutes had a ball. Caught a total of eight bass in that time, including five dinks, plus a 1-8, 1-9 and 3-4. All the fish came from above the bridge. Don't reckon I'm going to get another day this week on the water, but you can be sure I'll be trying my best to get in at least one day next week. Almost forgot to share something funny that happened shortly before I called it quits today. A friend who had been fishing across the creek from me had just put away everything in his boat when he saw me set the hook on something big and decided to check it out before heading to the dock. He came alongside just in time to see me drag up the remnants of an old stump on my 40-lb. braid. I actually had felt a fish and set the hook, but the fish had taken my lure into the stump and wrenched it from his jaw. We both had a good chuckle.

Wednesday, Feb. 6 (from Ron)...With another banner weather day, had to get out. Fished vicinity of Back Bay in hopes of finding yellow perch but only found one bass at 2-0 on the micro spinnerbait. Saw some more bait and a few swirls. Had one more on, but he threw the hook. Tried jerkbaits, beetle spins, and small crankbaits, but the spinnerbait was the only lure that enticed a bite. Threw it with some lift and drop...very, very slow.


Friday, Feb. 8 (from Ron)...Fished Lovitt's from 3 to 6 p.m. Started really slow and found a bass at about 5 p.m. Then, thought I had a bowfin on, but turned out to be a catfish, and he was a real pole-bender. At about 5:30, the panfish got active, and I scored a stringer of five crappie between 11 and 13 inches, as well as a decent 9-inch yellow perch. Was a nice mixed bag. All fell to the micro spinnerbait or trolled beetlespin. Tried small crankbaits and pig-n-jig, but nothing hit them. The creek was well-protected from the wind, and the temperature didn't drop to uncomfortable, but it will this weekend. Tacos finally are on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment