Monday, February 25, 2019

Planning for the "What If"



The "what if" in this case is the emergency no one ever really wants to think about, but it's the one we all increasingly need to think about as we get older, especially if we spend a lot of time alone on the water. It doesn't matter if you're piloting a 50-foot yacht or a 10-foot kayak, the smart person makes sure someone at home knows your float plan, e.g., where you're going to be all day.

As one admitted "old goat" put it, "My wife always knows the following information anytime I take the boat out:
     * The place I'm going to fish
     * Location of the ramp I'm going to use
     * Time I plan to launch
     * Time I expect to be back
     * Cellphone numbers for anyone fishing with me"

The same gent went on to state that he always calls his wife as soon as the boat is back on the trailer, "so she can put the life insurance policies back in the desk drawer."

My personal choice for a float plan usually begins with an email or text addressed to two or three different people, followed by updates if/when I change locations throughout the day. Just make sure you let family and/or friends know what you're doing, in case an emergency should arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment