Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The First 5 Minutes Proved to be Misleading


In that length of time this morning, I boated a 12-inch bass and had a couple more fish swirl under my topwater bait. I certainly never expected to get anywhere near Charlie's 17 bass of yesterday, but I did think this kind of start might be the precursor of a respectable day. No such luck, though. From the 6-minute mark to the end of the day, more than 6 hours later, the only action I had was four more swirls under the lure. And there wasn't the first sign of any baitfish, from one end of Albright's to the other.

As I thought about my day on the ride back to West Neck this afternoon, I realized that I still had some things to be grateful for, even though I only boated one fish. I had spent the day on the water, instead of cooped up here in front of my computer. I never suffered any injuries--unless you consider a headache an injury; if so, I had that "injury" all day--from before my feet first hit the floor this morning. And, too, I didn't feel the first raindrop today, even though it looked like it could dump on me any minute. So, in a sense, I guess I proved you nearly always can find some "positives"--all you have to do is look hard enough.

It's readily apparent that I've fallen into a horrible slump, and all I can do is to keep "swinging" until I once again find my stride. I've never been a great fisherman, but I know I'm better than this. Even my wife asked me earlier this evening, "What's happened to you?" Just wish I had an answer for her. The best I could do today was shake my head.

It's not like I didn't try--I fished some 14-lb.line for the first time in many years. I'm not sure where I'll go from here, but this much is certain: I'm not about to give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment