Monday, October 28, 2013

A Warm-Up Session for Wednesday's Shootout


My first fish today and the best one I've had in many weeks was this 3-1 that fell for a Strike King XS-1 in firetiger. I really was surprised by his size, because when I saw him take the lure, he really only looked like maybe a 1-lb. fish. As my drag started slipping, though, I realized I had made a mistake.

It was another day when I didn't see any baitfish to speak of and only a few random swirls as I worked my way above the bridge. However, I was pleased to find a fair amount of action. Besides the bass pictured here, I went on to catch three more small keepers and one dink, along with a grindle, a white perch, and two yellow perch. I also had five other fish on, three of which I know were bass because I saw them, but lost all of them before they reached the boat.

The good-looking water that showed up rather mysteriously just in time for our Classic contest a couple of weeks ago still exists in West Neck and Albright's, that I'm aware of. It very well may be as good in other areas, too, but with hunting season here, I just don't do that much running.

The XS-1 in the foreground only accounted for my first fish today. Everything else came on the Bill Norman Thin N in the background, one of the lures that worked repeatedly for me last winter. I also had some hits today on a chatterbait, but all of them were short strikes.

I had an email from Charlie earlier this evening, in which he reported that he had had a double-digit day (21, if I remember correctly) today in Godfrey's Creek. The only problem was that he caught all of them on a crankbait--not the soft plastics he has chosen for his weapon in our shootout. In his words, "I think I'm in trouble come Wednesday," but that remains to be seen.

As I explained to him, I talked to Eddie Sapp today, and he had caught a total of 12 bass between West Neck and Pocaty--all on soft plastics. Incidentally, I'd like to extend a warm "Welcome Home!" to Eddy, who just returned home yesterday from an overseas deployment. He indicated he ought to be around town for a while now, so I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of his Skeeter on the water in coming days. He said he plans to be out again tomorrow, and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't show up for Goody's Big Bass Tournament this Sunday.

"Tight Lines!" to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment