Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Seems Like Everybody Caught Fish Today


I only can speak for three anglers, but all of us managed to catch some fish today while fishing out of West Neck Marina.

This photo of a nice 2-lb. 1-oz. bass came to me by email today from Jerry. He said he launched at 7:20 this morning and  fished north of the West Neck Bridge until 10 a.m.. He had two hits and boated both of them, one of which was this fish that fell for a beetlespin. The other was an 11-inch bass that nailed a junebug worm.

Jerry's next stop was Pocaty, which proved to be a mistake. "The water was like chocolate milk," he explained. He spent only an hour there before calling it a day. The water level when he left was 3.3 feet, and the water temp was 61 degrees. He said everyone he talked to was struggling, just as he was.

The other angler I had an email from is Charlie, who spent today on the water with his friend, Ray. They began their day by sampling the muddy water in Pocaty but quickly returned to West Neck, where the water was good and clear.

Said Charlie, "We fished several spots below the bridge and got bluegill, white perch, and a few small bass." Above the bridge was more of the same, with one major exception.

That exception was Charlie finally breaking that long-elusive 5-pound barrier with this fish that went for a Texas-rigged 4-inch Chigger Craw. The bass tipped the scales at a hefty 5 lbs. 3 ozs.

I don't reckon any of us have to question why Charlie has such a big smile on his face. Fish like this one just don't come in the boat every day. As Charlie will tell you, he has put in a lot of long hours reaching this plateau. The real beauty of this catch is that Charlie had his friend, Ray, to celebrate the event with.

In Charlie's words, "This is turning out to be a banner year" for him. I hardly can wait to see the video of his catching this lunker.

Meanwhile, I just about had given up on my day as being a lost cause when I at last boated this 3-3 bass at 1 o'clock. I had been on the water since about 8 o'clock with only one small hit on a plastic craw and one swirl at a Yo-Zuri SS Minnow to show for my efforts. And then, just as swiftly as it took me to alter my retrieve of the SS Minnow, this bass jumped on it. In quick succession, I also boated a 2-11 and a 2-5, along with a couple of 12-inchers and one about 10 inches. All the fish went for the SS Minnow.
 
Maybe there's something to be said after all for Mike Iaconelli's popular refrain, "Never give up." 

No comments:

Post a Comment