Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...

 

If there was a Thin N bite happening in West Neck Creek today, I never found it, and that's after working both sides of the creek, all the way up to the mouth. Given my success with that bait in recent days, I would have been willing to bet you money I'd be able to catch fish with it today. As it turned out, though, the only two baits that produced for me were the ones you see in the accompanying photo--a Bang-o-Lure in Tennessee shad color and this Bandit Footloose in chrome with black back.

To say my bite today was fickle would be an understatement. I started with a couple different Thin N's, then tried a spinnerbait and an assortment of jerkbaits, without drawing a single strike. As I neared the area where I picked up that nice 3-14 yesterday, I decided to see what would happen with the Bang-o-Lure that I had caught fish with yesterday. Quickly, I brought an 11-inch fish aboard and had two more slap at the bait without getting a hook-up. I mistakenly figured that action was only going to be the start of a memorable day. However, I couldn't have been more wrong.

For a long while, I didn't have another pass at the Bang-o-Lure, and the Thin N's I had tied on also were just drawing water. Knowing I needed to find another bait, I opened my tacklebox, and the first thing I saw were the Bandit Footlooses that had worked so well for me earlier in the year. This chrome-with-black-back model was the first and only one I tied on all day, since it went on to catch four fish for me. Just as I was feeling fully confident with it, the tables turned on me, though, and in a stretch of not more than 20 or 25 yards near quitting time, I hit three fish with it but had every single one of them come unbuttoned on the way to the boat. The frustrating thing was that those three fish hit harder than any of the others all day, which left me puzzled about how they were getting off.

My bottom line for the day was 5 fish in the boat, only one of which, though, was a keeper.

Like yesterday, the water temp already was above 50 degrees when I started, and it'll likely stay that way until those winds shift to the north tomorrow. I'm taking at least a couple days off now to regroup and try to come up with a new plan of attack. My thought process at the moment is that I probably should give West Neck a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment