Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Well, Tomorrow Is My D-Day (of Sorts)

The "battle plan" has been drawn up, and the "invasion" will go down about 8 a.m. or thereabouts. Some readers know what I'm making reference to, but for the benefit of those who don't, I'm heading to Sentara Princess Anne in the morning for Dr. Jenkins to perform gall bladder surgery.

My Dewey's tournament partner will drop us off at the main entrance about 7 o'clock, then I'll get signed in, the anesthesiologist will do his or her job, and I'll be turned over to the doctor for what is called a laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

I've been told that I should be ready for the trip home at or about noon, if all goes well...as opposed to the old-fashioned open surgery, which entailed a three-to-five-day stay in the hospital. Post op is scheduled two weeks down the road, and I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous for about three or four weeks...in other words, no fishing! That recuperation period has pretty much remained the same from the days of yore.

Just know that I plan to keep doing some blog posts throughout my recuperation. How much I do, though, will depend on how I feel. I also intend to spend time walking, as the doctor already has indicated will be in my best interests. With any luck, I should be back at "full tilt" (whatever that means for an 80-year-old is anyone's guess) by mid-January. Until then, please know that y'all have my best wishes for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment