Wednesday, December 20, 2023

On a Happier Note...

My recovery appears to be going well. That tortuous tool, otherwise known as a catheter, got removed this past Monday at Sentara Princess Anne. Fortunately, I had a very empathetic young lady who quickly explained that, while she was a "one pull gal," I should only feel a very brief moment of displeasure before the procedure was completed. And she was exactly right.

Upon arriving home afterward, I went straight to the shower and have been feeling better ever since. The second day after surgery proved to be the day I felt the most discomfort in my chest area. Since then, I've only cringed a couple of times...once while bending over to put socks on and tie my shoes, and the second time yesterday when I folded my hands over my chest a bit harder than I should have. Also have to go easy on my bellybutton, which housed the surgeon's camera, 'cause it still has the appearance of a war zone.

Have been watching what I eat...with a bottle of Mylanta parked nearby, just in case. Thus far, the only thing that seems to have caused a small problem was the fresh squash we had one day. Everything else has been agreeable. Have only given up (temporarily, I hope) one habit I've had for some time now, and that is having a glass of Coke, Dr. Pepper or A&W Root Beer with my daily dinner. Instead, I've been drinking at least four full glasses of water (which I've never done before) per day, along with some low-fat milk, which I haven't done since my early Navy days.

My goal is to get back to eating and drinking the usual stuff as much as normal if possible, figuring that some things may take longer than others to work with my new digestive system. Might even get lucky enough to match what the gal who removed my catheter told me about her diet. She, too, is without a gall bladder...has been for a few years now...but eats anything she wants, including Mexican food when she has a hankering for it.

Bottom line: I'm feeling good...but that could be short-lived if I don't get rid of this past week's growth of whiskers. As a matter of fact, I earlier promised the wife these would disappear today, so had better bring this to a close and get up close and personal with my shaver in front of a mirror. Don't plan any further updates unless there's some kind of unexpected snafu.

And finally, to all those who have expressed concern for me, please know I sincerely appreciate all the support. It truly does help in these situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment