Friday, December 15, 2023

My After-Action Report

Good news is: the surgery went as expected. However, things headed south soon afterward, starting with the realization that someone had failed to notice the entry in my medical record that I have an enlarged prostate. And turns out, the anesthesia they had chosen for me just happened to be one that caused it to get even larger. To put it bluntly, my pee therefore was trapped between a rock and a hard place...and going nowhere anytime soon.

Gotta believe at least some of you already have figured out what that development meant for me. Does the word "catheter" ring any bells? Yep, and I don't mean just one...but two. They initially started with one of the smallest they had, which I, kid you not, had me screaming to the top of my lungs. About 40 minutes later, when all the initial backup had been relieved and the first catheter had been removed (with more pain than the installation), it was discovered that I still was unable to pee on my own...no matter how hard I tried. Within a very few minutes, the RN and the surgeon had decided to equip me with a "longer lasting" catheter that made installment of the first one feel like a walk in the park. And I don't mind telling you that the walls of Sentara Princess Anne shook this second time.

The RN had forewarned me, though. He even went so far as to say, "If you feel that you must sock me, please do so...cause it won't be the first time, nor will it be the last either."

Suffice it to say I resisted hitting the RN, and he indeed was grateful. After thanking me, he went back to the process of getting me admitted. And as soon as a room became available, I was whisked away for what would be an overnight stay. Then, the next morning, one of my surgeon's assistants came to visit me and to discuss my options. I opted for going home with my catheter and calling the surgeon on Monday about getting my catheter removed.

Unfortunately, my problems did not end there. Once home, blood soon started showing up in the bag strapped to the side of my leg...and I don't mean just a little. I immediately called the charge nurse from my overnight stay to ask for her advice. She was the only person I could find available on short notice.

Her words to me were simple: Dump that first bag with the blood, but if a second one shows up, get your butt to the emergency room. The second bag was the same as the first, so last night found me heading to the emergency room. Once there, staff were quick to take me in and get a sample of the blood from my bag for analysis. The diagnosis...albeit not welcome...was no surprise, since the earlier RN had forewarned me what could happen with catheters. In short, I have an infection in my bladder.

I was given a shot of antibiotic and had a prescription phoned into my local pharmacy...which had turned up yet another problem. Seems there was a problem with billing that had delayed delivery of the prescription, so now I am sitting...perhaps for as long as 3 more hours...waiting to receive the prescription to retard the blood that once again is showing up in my bag.

As I've said so many times, "When it rains, it pours. If there's something that can go wrong, it will."

And I just learned of yet another problem: The only leg bag I have appears to be leaking, while my wife is out doing some other things for me. Ain't I the lucky one!!!

All that being said, I ask that any of you who would like to talk with me on the phone to please give me a few days to get on an even keel again. My ship simply is not very seaworthy at the moment. Hope you understand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment