Thursday, August 3, 2023

I Owe Today's Success to a 42-Year-Old Bait


While doing some Internet research here a few days ago, I discovered that I had let several different baits just pass me by over the years. I have no plans to start trying to catch up with all of them at this late stage, but I did see one that sparked my interest, so I launched my get-acquainted campaign with that bait today.

I didn't set the world on fire, but I did have a good time...learning how to use the bait, as well as trying out my new Shimano SLX baitcaster. That duo, along with a couple of other regular lures combined to give me seven bass between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., the biggest of which weighed 2 lbs. 5 ozs. Five of the fish were keepers, and five of them came on the old bait. Suffice it to say that was sufficient motivation for me to make this old bait a regular part of my arsenal...at least for the time being.

The way I see it, I can use all the help I can get. So far this year, I can count the number of times I've caught seven bass in one day on one hand, with fingers left over.

Incidentally, the West Neck Marina owners have once again repaired the rut at the lip of the ramp, so we should be good to go until the next time high water returns and washes out the latest fix.

2 comments: