Sunday, July 24, 2022

Wanna Find Out Just How Fragile Life Can Be?

Have someone die in your arms, simply because he wasn't wearing a life preserver. That's what happened to Wired2Fish President Terry Brown (right) a few years ago.

He had taken his Ranger 106 to a local lake one Monday to test the engine and to take photos of some lures for an article. He had chosen that day because it wouldn't be crowded. As he was destined to learn, though, less crowded is great when fishing but not so good when an emergency arises.

While launching his boat, Brown heard an elderly gentleman hollering that he was stranded and needed to be pulled in. The engine in his boat wouldn't start. A couple other anglers went to pick him up and pull his boat back to the dock.

Problems started when they began trying to get the elderly gentleman out of his boat, which was quickly filling with water. To make matters worse, he wasn't wearing a life jacket, and there wasn't one in his boat.

It soon became clear that the elderly fella was too disheveled and unbalanced to get out of his boat on his own or with help either one. Brown subsequently ran to the scene to try and calm the man down and help tie his boat to the dock. In that process, however, the elderly gent fell into the water and quickly went out of sight.

Brown felt around in the muddy water and soon was able to grab his arm and pull him back to the dock. He spit out a bit of water, looked up at Brown, and when asked, said he thought he was going to be OK. Brown then said he and a helper would move him down the dock toward the bank a little at a time when he was ready. Simultaneously, though, Brown noticed the gent was getting glassy eyed and confused. Because he was so heavy and waterlogged, they couldn't lift him, so the helper went to get additional assistance.

Brown kept reassuring the elderly gent that he wouldn't let him go, but he also noticed that he looked more and more confused. Suddenly, he saw the gent's eyes roll back, and he knew he was having a heart attack.

"He died in my arms," said Brown, "and although EMTs, lifeguards, and others performed CPR, he never came back. In a weird way, I was glad I was there, because I don't think anyone ever should die alone."

In the days following, Brown said he couldn't stop thinking about what, if anything, he could have done differently.

"My heart told me he was someone's dad or grandpa, and I'll never get his face or look of desperation out of my head," Brown explained. "I truly believe an angel came and got him that day. That doesn't make it any easier, though.

"Should I have had a better plan? I don't know, but in that moment, I know I did my best and tried to settle him. I told him I wouldn't leave him and held on to him until they got him out of the water. I do know I was there for a reason. Had I not been on the scene and able to grab his arm, I believe he would have drowned. I did not know him well or even his name until his obituary came out, but rest assured he will be with me the rest of my life. I still see his face both when awake and when asleep."

When Brown got home that night, he sent a company-wide email with one simple message: Wear your life jackets, even on the dock. Even if you're young. Even if you're always on the water. Wear them. Period.

Would that have saved the elderly gentleman? "Maybe or maybe not," responded Brown, "but it certainly would have kept his head out of the water and not put him into shock. It would have, at a minimum, given him a fighting chance."

As Brown learned that fateful day, the difference between life and death truly is the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment