Sunday, July 3, 2022

In Case You Haven't Heard, I'm in Quarantine

Yes, that scourge otherwise known as Covid 19 has seen fit to finally visit some of its nasty symptoms on yours truly. Heard it from two different authorities today, so I have to believe the right diagnosis has been reached.

It started yesterday with a sore throat, which was gone by this morning. In its place, however, were a headache, coughing, sneezing, and a gradually elevating temperature throughout the day today. As a result, I plan to stay locked up until Friday, July 8th...the date the doctor just told me I could rejoin society. Incidentally, the same doctor also told me she has seen a total of 10 Covid cases today alone.

Any of you who happen to be reading this post need to take any symptoms that you develop seriously, especially if you haven't ever received any of the vaccines offered. I had the original two Moderna shots, followed by two of their boosters. As the last doctor I saw today explained, I should be happy I've had all the shots and likely will have kicked my current symptoms by this Friday.

Have an enjoyable Independence Day celebration everyone, and make your plans now to participate in our next Dewey Mullins Memorial Tournament on Saturday, July 9th.

Day 2

Woke up about 4:30 this morning and staggered downstairs for another dose of cough syrup. Tried getting ack to sleep afterward, but it wasn't happening. My sinuses had picked this moment to open up, and I felt as though I was drowning in the deluge of stuff going down my throat.

Rather than get up and stir around, I decided to stay in bed, so I wouldn't wake my wife. For the next four hours, though, the best I could muster was a series of catnaps. Tried getting a nap a bit ago, too, but that didn't work either, so now I'm hoping I'm tired enough come bedtime tonight that not even the lingering fireworks around here where I live will be enough to keep me awake.

The sneezing and the coughing continue, pretty much unabated from what they were yesterday, even though I've been taking medicine for both of them. Also just checked my temperature and see that it once again has creeped back up past normal. Reckon that explains why I'm again starting to feel like I have a bad hangover. Really wish that's all I had.

Day 3

This is getting to be a real rollercoaster ride. Had been in bed about four hours last night when I awoke and noticed that the sore throat like I had in the beginning of this journey had returned. Decided just to ignore it and try to go back to sleep.

When I climbed out of bed this morning, the sore throat thankfully had disappeared. Also gone was a horizontal pain I've had across the top of my chest for a day or two now. Unfortunately, though, my fever had returned during the last half of the night, causing me to feel like crap when my feet hit the floor this morning. Immediately headed to the medicine cabinet and grabbed a couple of Tylenol, and while I was sitting at the breakfast table, I felt the fever break. I knew it had happened because all that blah feeling suddenly lifted, and I felt halfway decent again.

The coughing and sneezing have been the common threads throughout this whole episode thus far. Neither is constant. Hours sometimes pass without a single cough or sneeze, and then I may get hit with a big barrage of both, along with a case of watery eyes.

Day 4

I can best sum up the way I feel at this dawning of another new day like so: It feels like a giant dump truck ran over me last night, and the worst part of all is knowing that it didn't really happen.

I'm sure there are Covid victims like me, who have had all their shots but still end up with this crap, and insist that having it under these conditions is "a piece of cake." For all those in that category, I say, "Bully for you!" Meanwhile, I can only wish one of them would have had the common courtesy to have shared the memo with me, describing what you needed to do to ensure such a swell ride.

I would just urge those of you who may be reading this diatribe to standby, because I fully expect to have more to report before this non-magical day is completely in the record books.

Since having had breakfast, the "trainwreck" that marked the beginning of my morning has settled into minor bouts of sneezing and coughing, with some on-and-off congestion. Have to admit I expected a lot worse, given the fact I'm operating on only about 3.5 hours of sleep last night. Of course, there are several more hours left in this day, so anything is possible, especially since the wife is scheduled for her Covid test this afternoon, following the overnight arrival of a sore throat.

Nothing new to add here, other than the fact the wife's scheduled Covid test at Walgreens didn't happen, thanks in no small part to the incompetence of workers who couldn't figure out the paperwork. Have a new plan in the works now. In the meantime, I'm enroute to grabbing my headache-prescription bottle.

Day 5

With my final day in "lockup" (of sorts) at hand, there is hope that things finally are changing for the better. The changing started last night, while I had my wife at Patients First for a Covid screening. She tested negative for the dreaded virus but still has a sinus infection that she's working hard to resolve. The doctor ran both a quick test for Covid, as well as one of those that take a few days to get the results.

While waiting for her to complete her business with the doctor, I stayed outdoors and, out of the blue, started feeling better with every passing minute. Once back home, I got a shower, then headed for the sheets...can't remember the last time they felt so good.

Awoke this morning, feeling normal. Plan to abide by the rules, though, and spend this one last day at home. Likely will use the time to start getting my tackle ready for Saturday's tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment