Friday, April 29, 2022

We Fishermen Are a Quirky Lot, Don'tcha Think?

Had a note from my kayaker buddy this morning when I rolled out of the sack and powered up my computer for another day. Seems Ron had taken a trip yesterday to one of ol' Charlie Bruggemann's favorite local holes: Stumpy Lake. His note read as follows:

Launched at 5 p.m. and threw Senkos and craws to cypress trees for two hours without a tap. Headed back to the launch site about 7 o'clock and stopped to make a few casts to one last stand of cypress trees, and to my surprise, it seemed like they had just suddenly woke up. Got a 4-5 and a 1-15 in short order, plus lost one. Was very pleased. As I've learned, the bass in Stumpy nearly always are thick and healthy...when I can find 'em, that is.

'Twould appear that Ron's experience last evening lends credence to the idea of "just one last cast." If he hadn't stopped at that last stand of trees, he never would have gotten that skunk out of the kayak.

In a similar vein, I try never to end a fishing day on having a backlash in my reel or losing a lure. If that happens, I feel like I'm doomed for the next trip. Probably sounds crazy to most of you, but that's just who I am.

Reckon it's no worse than those folks who feel it jinxes them if someone brings a banana into their boat. Of course, though, my Dewey's tournament partner eats a banana during most of our trips and still manages to put quality fish in the boat, so maybe that myth has been debunked.

In any event, "good on ya," Ron, for putting a nice finishing touch on your evening on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment