Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Reckon You Could Call This an Old Codgers' Fishin' Day

(Left, one of Skip's fish)

Skip and I decided yesterday to have a fun-fishing day today, and true to our plans, we both launched out of West Neck this morning in search of a few fish. With the water level at full pool, both Skip and I headed north to a couple of super shallow creeks that aren't always accessible from a bass boat.

In comparing notes this evening after we both were off the water, I learned that Skip had a decent day in his chosen spot, whereas I couldn't say much for my first stop of the day. Oh, I found fish OK, and I had lots of strikes on my chosen topwater bait, but not a single fish ever got connected. After an hour and a half of swinging and missing, I had had all I wanted from a hole where, a few years ago, I used to spend an entire day catching quality bass. On this day, however, I gave up quickly and returned to West Neck where I found some fish last Friday.

However, the pattern had changed from then until today. The fish I caught Friday came from a cove, whereas today, they all came from a stretch of shoreline just before you reach that cove. I checked out that cove again today but didn't find a single fish...for that matter, not even a strike.

I ended the day with a total of seven fish, with only two keepers in the lot: a 1-4 and a 2-0 (right). Every one of them hit my spinnerbait, just like they did last Friday.

In talking to Skip, I learned he also caught six or seven fish today, with most of them coming on a small plastic swimbait.

Reckon it's a good thing that "ol' codgers" like Skip and me are content just to feel an occasional tug on our line. Otherwise, we would have been vastly disappointed today. As it was, though, we both came home "happy campers."

No comments:

Post a Comment