Friday, April 22, 2022

Decided I Didn't Want To Face Another Saturday Crowd

Rolled out of bed early this morning for a change and got ahead of all but one other boat out of West Neck. Started out really struggling and was afraid another skunk might be in the offing, until I got to the last hour of my day. Then, in quick succession, I managed to boat a total of four bass...my best one weighing 2-11, which was my first fish of the day. Then came a 1-4, 1-0, and about an 11-inch bass...everything owing to the spinnerbait I was throwing.

By the time I got to my last hour on the water, I had migrated back to West Neck Creek, after making stops in four other areas. The scenario in all four of those areas was pretty much the same thing. I would draw a lot of swirls, and even a few short strikes but couldn't find any takers.

It's a miracle I even had enough wits about me to set the hook when I finally felt that 2-11 smack my spinnerbait. With my interest then renewed, I quickly found the next three smaller fish from the same kind of spot I had found the bigger one. Would have liked to have had another hour or two I could fish, but that just wasn't in the cards, especially because I was really feeling the full day I already had put in on the water. I knew I needed to call it a day.

Had a bit of a surprise at my first hole of the day...the graveyard. Was just idling through the maze of stuff in that area, working my way to where I wanted to start, when I glanced up at an old boat that had a "critter" hanging out onboard. Gotta admit I was a little surprised he was sunning himself so early, but then, maybe he's just an "early bird." On first look going in, I wasn't really sure the snake was even alive, but when I saw he had changed positions on the way out, I immediately knew he was very much alive.

Subsequently grabbed my camera and took the accompanying shot. Gotta tell ya, though, I stayed well away from the scene, opting instead to use the camera's telephoto lens. Unlike a neighbor I had during my youth, who would handle any kind of snake as though it were a toy, I give all such critters a wide berth, simply because I don't trust any of them. I've never been a brave man, and I ain't about to start now.

Besides this critter (incidentally, my first one of the season), I saw a number of turtles of varying size but nothing else, besides a few other fishermen as the day wore on. 'Tweren't many of the latter, likely because it was a work day for most.

Have plans to try and get out at least one day (maybe more) next week before our tournament next Saturday, the 30th. Not sure at this stage where I will be heading, but it very well may be a couple spots I haven't taken a look at for a spell. One thing you can be sure of: I'll have at least one spinnerbait tied on. For some weird reason, which I can't explain, that's fast becoming my "go to" bait this year...for the first time in ages. Can't remember the last time I've had any kind of spinnerbait bite to speak of. Meantime, my topwaters continue collecting a little dust, 'cause they simply haven't done anything for me yet in 2022.

One thing I did notice today was that the water temp had just broken 60 degrees when I caught my first fish, and it was 61 when I threw in the towel an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment