Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Latest Threat to Holiday Traditions

Anyone who read "the daily break" section of this morning's The Virginian-Pilot undoubtedly saw the piece by Alyson Krueger of The New York Times. The item was titled "Skipping Traditions."

Among the examples cited by Krueger was a family that, because of differing views on religion and politics has given up on spending time with family over the holidays. Krueger also cited another family that had such a good time at Thanksgiving with a best friend and her family that they've decided "if we don't want to spend time with family, we don't have to."

As yet another person interviewed by Krueger allowed, "What the pandemic has taught me is that family doesn't have to represent those who are blood-related. Family is made of those people who support you and love you. So when I think about who I want to spend the holidays with, it's those people."

In short, the dreaded COVID-19, in addition to already having killed more than 806,000 Americans, has teamed up with Father Time to cause an even farther and faster decline in holiday traditions.

Well do I remember the holidays of my youth and gathering at Grandma and Grandpa's house, along with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, and such, for a scrumptious meal that simply was out of this world, along with gift exchanges, and the nonstop fellowship one with another. Back in those days, too, the Christmas card exchanges among friends and relatives were immense, compared to what it is today. I remember my mom addressing cards for days on end and writing personal notes inside each one before mailing all of them.

The one thing that neither Father Time, nor COVID, has been able to touch (thus far, at least, and I pray forever) is my memories of those earlier days. They are tucked away in a special part of my brain that I truly hope will remain alive and well to my dying day.

Here's hoping each and every one of you have a blessed holiday season and may 2022 prove to be bountiful in every positive respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment