Friday, December 17, 2021

A Bernie Schultz Tribute to the Late Aaron Martens

Here's a great little story that I found in the latest issue of Jay Kumar's BassBlaster:

"As the minutes turned to hours, he (Aaron) kept culling, while I watched, unable to catch even a bare 14-inch keeper," said Schultz. "He eventually must have felt sorry for me, 'cause he called me over to get one of his special baits...a 'Scrounger,' which was relatively new at the time. Rather than simply tossing me the lure, he sat down and began to assemble and modify it--custom trimming its transparent lip and soft-plastic body.

"Our boats sat rail to rail, as Aaron meticulously tweaked the lure," continued Bernie. "Dissatisfied with the initial effort, he scrapped the lure's transparent lip and started over.

"As he was trimming the second one, a school of fish erupted on the far side of his boat. Impulsively," allowed Bernie, "I fired a cast across his deck into the melee and hooked up with my biggest fish of the day. As it cartwheeled across the surface, Aaron realized its size and shouted, 'Dude! Here I am making a bait, and you're catching fish on the other side of my boat. That's not cool, bro.'

"Our marshals and I broke out laughing," said Bernie..."all while I'm trying to battle this fish without setting foot on Aaron's deck."

"Name one other dude who would stop catching biting fish to make a bait for another competitor," said Kumar. "If you know one, you're blessed."

No comments:

Post a Comment