Thursday, December 30, 2021

In Keeping With the Spirit of the Season

I'm talking, of course, about the spirit of giving. And while I was digging around the Internet yesterday, I happened across a good example of that, which I decided to share with everyone who reads this blog.

Seems there's this fella whose wife has a friend, who is a retired school teacher. Her husband is gone, and she lives alone.

"I've helped her out over the last four years," said the fella, "fixing things around her house...a new disposal, storm door, and more recently, some new boards on her back porch. She always has offered to pay me, but I always say no. When I finished the porch job, though, she handed me a Christmas card, and inside was an Academy Sports gift card for $100.

"As I started thinking about what to buy, I thought of an old friend, with whom I fish quite often. Mike, as he is named, was wounded in Vietnam and has walked with a limp ever since 1970. I kind of helped him get back into fishing after 12 years. When his wife passed on, he gave up on things. He lives alone in a two-bedroom senior apartment complex in town.

"I'm happy to say he's back into fishing full bore. However, with a fixed income, he doesn't always have a lot of extra money for fishing tackle. So, last Saturday, my wife put together a tray of Christmas cookies, and we went to Academy, where I bought a new Lew's LFS casting reel. We then visited Mike, who was quick to ask, 'Oh, did you get a new reel?'"

I replied, "No man. It's for you. It's your reel, Mike. Merry Christmas! You should have seen the look on his face as he opened the box and saw that new reel. Yes, it's only a reel, but it made all the difference in the world to my old friend."

"So, in the spirit of Christmas, I passed on a gift to another person and felt very good about doing it, too. Now I'm looking forward to Mike catching some fish with his new reel this coming spring. I'm sure he'll put it to good use. While it's only a fishing reel, it's one of the best gifts you ever can give to a fisherman."

No comments:

Post a Comment