Saturday, June 6, 2020

Looked Like Rain Most of the Morning, But Nary a Drop Fell



As long as the clouds stuck around, the day wasn't too bad. When that sun started popping through the clouds, though, it really warmed up fast. Nevertheless, all 18 anglers in 11 boats today managed to catch some fish. As a matter of fact, yours truly was the only angler who didn't weigh a limit. In the final analysis, we weighed a total of 54 bass (including three dead ones), for a combined total weight of 136.37 lbs. Those numbers translate into an average weight per fish of 2.52 lbs. and an average weight per boat of 12.39 lbs.

Following is a rundown of those anglers who went home with a pay envelope today:







1st Place, the team of (from left) Andy Morath and Eric Hubbard, total weight 18.40 lbs., big fish 4.32 lbs.





2nd Place, the team of (from left) Rob Peppers and Don Carter, total weight 16.60 lbs., big fish 4.98 lbs., which gave them the lunker pot today, as well.






3rd Place, the team of (from left) Jim Crist and Eric Killian, total weight 14.40 lbs., big fish 4.78 lbs.







Here is how everyone else finished the competition:

     * Gary Coderre, total weight 14.01 lbs., big fish 4.28 lbs.
     * The team of Steve Bailey and Bobby Moore, total weight 13.98 lbs., big fish 3.07 lbs.
     * The team of Fred Crawford and Gabe Himmelwright, total weight 12.39 lbs., big fish 3.92 lbs.
     * The team of Mike Miller and Chris Fretard, total weight 10.59 lbs. (after 0.50 deduction for one dead fish), no big fish.
     * Jim Wilder, total weight 9.64 lbs. (after 0.50 deduction for one dead fish), big fish 2.69 lbs.
     * The team of James Calhoun and Rusty Girard, total weight 9.42 lbs. (after 0.50 deduction for one dead fish), big fish 2.84 lbs.
     * Ken Testorff, total weight 9.37 lbs. (for four fish), big fish 4.29 lbs.
     * Wayne Hayes, total weight 7.57 lbs., big fish 1.87 lbs.





And, as promised in an earlier blog post, Wayne Hayes presented Gary Coderre with his "I Survived My North Landing Plunge" Club plaque.






Congrats to all of the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our next contest is scheduled for Saturday, June 27, from safe light to 2 p.m. I hope you can join us.


One Last Cast

With the overcast skies this morning, I pulled out a couple of my favorite topwater baits and started wearing the water out with them. Had my four keepers by 10 o'clock but, for the life of me, could not find a fifth keeper the rest of the day. Once the sun came out, also started fishing a tandem spinnerbait, which accounted for four dinks today. The highlight of my tournament day was when that 4-pounder-plus hit my big popper. He hit it twice and missed but totally crushed it on the third pass. By that time, I was a basket case, after watching those giant blowups.

I also had my flippin' stick in the boat today and was fishing a baby brush hog on it. Only had one bite with it. The fish picked it up in front of a tree and started swimming off with it. I thought for sure I had let him go far enough, but when I tried to lay fire to his butt, the bait just came flying back over my head. That likely was the first time in about three years that I have tried to catch any fish on my flippin' stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment