Sunday, May 31, 2020

Perhaps the Fickle Finger of Fate Is Lifting

With events of my latest two fishing trips still fresh in my memory, I wasn't about to take any chances yesterday to demonstrate my ignorance and ineptness yet again...for an audience, no less.

For openers, I waited 'til all the other boats had disappeared down the channel before I ever started my motor. Then, I executed my plan to try and stay as far away from the rest of the crowd as possible.

With the high water, I knew I could get in all my favorite places down in Albright's, and that's where I stayed until about noon, when I ran back to West Neck to finish out my day in one of my favorite coves.

I only had been in Albright's about five minutes when I caught my first fish of the day...what proved to be the only decent one I would see. Despite all the big carp and gar wearing out the weedline, I had managed to detect one ring coming from a patch of grass that I figured had to be a bass, and I was right. As soon as my topwater reached that point, the fish immediately sucked it in. A couple of subsequent stops in Albright's yielded two more small bass that I didn't take time to measure. I had predetermined only to keep fish that I knew were solid keepers.

I went through a series of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, wake baits, and Senkos, without finding one I could get bit on. The bites I had all day came on two topwaters: the one I started with and one other (a popper). There was nothing fancy about the popper bites. In most cases, the fish would just suck it down after a pop, and I'd see the line moving off. When I'd rear back, though, there would be no fish. That pattern continued throughout the day, and it wasn't 'til about a half-hour before weigh-in that one of my hooksets finally yielded a second keeper.

Had a few gear problems during the day, but no more than I expect on a typical outing, and given the steady bites, I came away with hopes that maybe things are turning around. With another tournament next weekend, I won't have long to wonder.

Incidentally, Dave, if you happen to be reading this post, know that you were missed yesterday. Can't tell you how many guys asked me about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment