Wednesday, May 13, 2020

No More Lite Braid for Me

After several years of using nothing but 40-pound braided fishing line, I decided a couple of weeks ago to spool up one of my baitcasters with 20-pound braid. If I ever had any doubts about how this trial run would turn out, they've all been eliminated now.

In only two trips to the water, I have lost two lures, courtesy of the 20-pound braid. And rather than continue this disastrous trend, I'm calling a halt to it...before I end up losing a big fish in the process.

I figured I was kidding myself from the git-go, but I wanted to give the idea an acid test. Sometime tomorrow, I will be unwinding all the 20-pound braid and replacing it with new Stren Superline 40-pound test.

The event that brought my hair-brained idea to a sudden close today was when the 20-pound test developed a knot during a cast into the wind. When that happened, I heard a pop, followed by watching a length of line with my lure attached go sailing off in the distance.

It's entirely possible that part, if not all, of my problem with 20-pound braid rests with the operator. Irrespective, I'm throwing in the towel before something really bad happens. I like line I can count on all the time, and 40-pound Stren Superline fills that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment