Wednesday, May 13, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, May 17, 2020



You've Heard of Feast or Famine?

Well, take a look at what "Doc" pulled off (see right). As outlined in my post below, he and I blanked yesterday...neither one even got a bite.

"Doc" went back today (Thursday, May 14) and made up for lost time. He launched at 7:30 a.m. and fished until 11:30...staying in West Neck Creek the whole time. For these efforts, he was rewarded with a total of five bass, including one 2-pounder, three 1-pounders plus, and a dink.

All the fish fell for a crankbait. "Doc" also said he missed several on topwater. He released all the fish alive that he boated.

Just goes to prove the adage, "What a difference a day makes!"

Wednesday, May 13 (from Ken)...Can't say how the rest of the fishermen did today, but as for "Doc" and me, let's just say one dink would have been an improvement on our otherwise lackluster day. I tried topwaters, a spinnerbait, a crankbait, a jerkbait, and a creature soft plastic...all to no avail. Also came home with two rods in need of respooling, thanks to a continuation of the same kind of chaos that greeted me last Monday. Anyone within earshot of me today got more than an earful of four-letter words. After two back-to-back trips like I've just had, what little patience I had before starting today quickly faded, and I just turned loose and let it fly...high, wide and handsome. Don't know when my next trip will occur, but if it goes like the last two, I very well may deliver a wake-up call...in the form of TNT. In all fairness, I probably should note here that I talked to a fella this afternoon who had fished West Neck all day long with live minnows and had only three bass between 10 and 12 inches to show for it. So, the post spawn isn't being kind to anyone I've talked to in the last couple of days. Hopefully, better days are ahead for everyone.

Wednesday, May 13 (from Lenny)...Katy and I ran out of West Neck and turned north. We fished one of the creeks up that way, where we boated a total of 15 bass, 2 grindle, and 1 pickerel. Eight of my 11 bass were keepers, as were three of Katy's four keepers. The biggest bass weighed two and a half pounds. We caught almost all the fish on one bait, which I'm calling my INT. It came in a bag I got from you last year. All in all, it was a good evening of fishing and getting out of the house.

Thursday, May 14 (from Bob)...After two dink-filled days at West Neck this week, I launched at Back Bay for a switch. Had eight fish by 8 a.m., with the biggest at 4.8 and some quality three pounders mixed in. No complaints today. Text book bass, all right where they should’ve been.





Thursday, May 14 (from Skip)...Received a note from Skip this evening, telling me that he, too, had made a fishing trip today. He said the fish in the accompanying photo is the bigger of the two that he boated between 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.








Sunday, May 17 (from Ron)...I was reminded of that warning on the sideview mirror that says objects may appear closer. Likewise, the thought that fish may feel larger than they actually are crossed my mind. Fished Back Bay this morning, and launching conditions were great. Conditions started deteriorating, though, as the wind picked up. Managed to find six bass, with a 2-5 and a 3-10 topping out as best of the day, thanks to topwater baits and the SwimSenko. Had one fight with rod pulling and all, which led me to think I had a big one, but he was wrapped in a branch! Even managed a small crappie that hit the topwater but no bowfin yet. Really good to be back in freshwater, and the launch and recovery were a breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment