Wednesday, January 1, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, Jan. 5, 2020



Wednesday, Jan. 1 (from Ron)...Fished the burrow pit (AKA Crystal Lake at northern Sandbridge) today for the 2020 season starter. The bite was slow, but I found a few. Trolled around some jerkbaits (Shadow Shad Rap and a Rebel), while throwing a micro spinner to brush and shore. Caught two bass at 1-10 and 1-11, one crappie, one yellow perch, and three chain pickerel to 20 inches. Had another micro spinner bait bitten off and suspect a toothy chain pickerel was the culprit. At least, I haven't been skunked in 2020!

Wednesday, Jan. 1 (from Dave)...Fished Pungo Ferry today from 9 to 3. Had two hours of light wind, but by 11, it was blowing hard. The fishing was slow, but I managed eight bass and a pike. My best was a 4 ½-lb. bass, which really made my day. I used your mylar minnow to trick them into biting.

Thursday, Jan. 2 (from Ron)...Windy conditions limited locations, so opted for Ashville Bridge Creek and found some wind protection but not much of a bite. Of four bass, an 11-incher was the biggest. A decent chain pickerel also gave me a tug, as did a dink yellow perch and the first white perch in a long time. Bomber Square A and Micro spinner were the lures that worked. Gotta start carrying my stringer for the panfish.

Friday, Jan. 3 (from Dave and Ken)...It isn't very often that I will dare take a chance and go fishing on a day when there's a slug of rain like I saw headed this way on the radar this morning, but I wanted to go, so I met Dave at Munden Point at 9 o'clock this morning, and away we went. And we're both glad we did. When we quit about 2:30 this afternoon, we had boated a total of 21 bass (about half of them tournament keepers), plus five pickerel and one yellow perch. The only rain we saw all day were a few sprinkles about noon. Jerkbaits again were the ticket to success. Don't know when we'll be able to make another trip, but we plan to take a look at one day next week.

Friday, Jan. 3 (from Ron)...I located a school of bass and the bite was solid with the micro spinner. Unfortunately, it was a "pre-school" that I stumbled onto. All nine bass were super dinks. Also caught a couple of yellow perch and two crappie to round out the trip to No Name Creek off of North Landing. At launch, a kid bank fishing caught a nice bowfin, and that gave me some hope, but didn't find any bowfin or chain pickerel.

Saturday, Jan. 4 (from Ron)...Fished three hours this afternoon at Beggars Bridge/Lovitts, and the high, murky water was working against me. Caught a dink yellow perch and a dink bass that wasn't much bigger. No Saturday night fish fry for me! Still skunk-free in 2020!



Sunday, Jan. 5 (from Ron)...Headed out this afternoon in search of panfish. Didn't find any, but caught two dink bass and a 1-11, as well as a small chain pickerel. It was very windy, and the water in Ashville Bridge Creek was pretty low but surprisingly clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment