Tuesday, January 14, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020



Tuesday, Jan. 14 (from Dave and Ken)...About 12:30 today, I was sitting at my computer, working on a new blog post when my cellphone rang. Dave was on the other end and asked me if I wanted to go fishing. "Do you mean tomorrow?" I asked. "No," he said, "I mean right now. I'm putting a few things in the boat and will meet you at West Neck in 30 minutes." I said OK, grabbed my belt and stuff for my pockets, and headed to the van, with a couple rods in hand. We fished from 1:30 to 4:30, boating a total of 10 bass, including one about 4 lbs., which Dave caught. Productive lures today included spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, and topwater. My best moment of the afternoon was when a big bass blew up on my topwater bait but somehow missed getting the hooks. I earlier had boated a small bass on the same lure. I couldn't resist the opportunity to toss a topwater today, considering the fact the water temp had increased more than 10 degrees since our last outing together. And to make matters even better, we have an appointment to meet up in the morning for another go at those fish. Figure we'd better get our licks in while we still can.

Wednesday, Jan. 15 (from Dave and Ken)...After the success we enjoyed yesterday, I was expecting too much when we started this morning, even though conditions were pretty much the same, including a water temp of 58 degrees. Given the weather forecast I just saw, though, there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be a while before we see that temperature again. We struggled for the most part today but still managed to put 14 bass in the boat by the time we quit at 4 o'clock, after starting at 9 a.m. Of that 14, 11 of them were keepers, and our best five would have weighed somewhere between 10 and 12 lbs...so you won't hear any complaints from either one of us. Productive baits today included Senkos, jerkbaits and topwater (the same one, except for different color, I used yesterday--hint, it's an oldie but goodie, and one I haven't used in ages). In any event, I'm expecting to be landlocked for at least a week, given tonight's forecast, but you can be sure we'll be trying to get back out there as soon as the weather improves again.

No comments:

Post a Comment