Saturday, October 20, 2018

OMG! There Goes My Rod and New Reel!


That's the thought I had last Saturday as I watched my 6-6 BPS Rick Clunn signature series IM8 graphite rod with new Ardent Apex Elite baitcast reel go over the side of my boat. I just knew the combo was going to the bottom.

Imagine my great surprise--not to mention my relief--however, when I looked over the side and saw the same thing as bass pro Chris Lane is looking at in the accompanying photo.

That's right, my combo was floating in a horizontal fashion, exactly like Lane's combo is here, and I guarantee you that his combo cost a lot more than mine...or so I would surmise.

Information I found online indicates that Lane primarily uses BPS Carbonlite rods and reels. In this case, he was trying to flip a 5-inch Whopper Plopper when he accidentally hit the water with the lure before he flipped it. He subsequently lost his grip on the rod and could only watch as it went over the side.

My rod has an all-cork handle, and the reel only weighs 5.9 ounces, but whether those factors somehow figured in my good fortune is anyone's guess. All I know is that I still have my rod and reel, and it works as well now as it did before the splash occurred.

Reckon maybe I'll have to change one of my favorite sayings. I've oft repeated that "if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment