Sunday, October 7, 2018

Getting Ready for a Brutal Test of...Manhood???


Not sure whether to call it a test of manhood or plain ol' survival. For some of the younger ones, I feel certain it will amount to nothing more than a walk in the park. But for us old curmudgeons, it indeed will feel like we have been challenged to our very core.

What am I talking about? None other than the two-day Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Classic that is set to take place this next weekend, Oct. 13-14.

I've been thinking about this event since our first qualifier tournament way back in March. Then, I yet had months to prepare. Now, though, it's nipping at my heels, I'm still not prepared, and there's no way out. And I don't have a single doubt but that, by the end of Day 2, I'll be a leading candidate for the local corps of zombies. Oh, what I wouldn't give just to be...let's say 57 again, instead of 75.

Suffice it to say: You can fool a lot of people about a whole lot of things, but not so much when it comes to Mother Nature. Those years are very telling, and anyone who believes otherwise is in for a rude awakening somewhere down the road. And that, my friends, you can take to the bank.

Nevertheless, I will be among those 17 or 18 (one fella has to wait and see what his work schedule will be) gathering at West Neck Marina next Saturday and Sunday morning. Day 1 likely will find me with a bit of spring in my step, but by Day 2...well, let's just say that little bit of "spring" I had likely will have "sprung."

Here is a look at the whole cast of characters who will be taking part in this annual contest for 2018 (UPDATE: As of 10/8/2018, Bobby Moore and Chris Fretard have withdrawn from this event):




The team of Jim Crist and Eric Killian









The team of Steve Bailey and Bobby Moore









Skip Schaible










The team of Don Carter and Rob Peppers








The team of Wayne Hayes and Al Napier






The team of Dave Anderson and Ken Testorff








The team of Gary Coderre and Andy Morath







                                                          Jim Wilder










Chris Napier










The team of Eddie Sapp and Stan Krason










Chris Fretard




If you're interested in finding out who's standing tall...as well as who's not standing at all...at the conclusion of this event, you'll have to tune in to this same spot--maybe next Sunday night, or very possibly Monday, Oct. 15. I'm not making any promises I may not be able to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment