Saturday, October 24, 2015

OK, I'll Admit It--He Got Into My Head

The "he" I'm talking about here is none other than my good fishin' buddy, Skip Schaible. It all started when Skip read my recent blog posts in which I talked about seeing all those moccasins on the water. Incidentally, I saw yet another big one just this past Wednesday when I was getting ready to call it a day.

Skip subsequently told me, during one of our discussions, that seeing those posts had moved him to break out his collection of 4-inch Charlie Brewer "do nothing" Slider Worms. He settled on the color you see in this photo from Wednesday's blog post, in which he characterizes the soft plastic's color as closely resembling that of a young moccasin.

Well, this picture and that discussion got to working on my mind, and so when I had completed my "to do" list Thursday afternoon, I headed to the garage and broke out my own old collection of Slider worms. I first had to chase away a few spiders and blow dust off the lids of the storage boxes, but all the Sliders still were there, exactly as I remembered leaving them when we moved into this house several years ago.

And now those worms--all 58 different colors of 'em--are neatly tucked away, ready to be taken to the boat and put in one of its storage compartments. This way, they'll be ready next year when I find out if I can recreate some of the magic I enjoyed with these baits back in the day.

Like Skip, I have no intentions of going back to some aspects of the original Slider system. For example, you won't find me using those jig heads with thin-wire hooks. Neither will you find me using the custom Slider rod I had a local fella make for me in the beginning. I still have the rod, but it would need to be refinished first if I were to use it. And, too, I'm not fond of the idea of taping another spinning reel to that rod, or of going back to 4- and 6-lb.-test line.

This time around, I plan to experiment with some different rods, hooks and line until I find a setup I like. Then will come the task of working back through the various colors of Sliders I have, finding out what works and what doesn't. I still remember some of the colors that were proven fish-catchers in the early days, but with 58 colors to choose from, I certainly don't remember all the winners. And, besides, the fish may have different preferences nowadays.

Will this second time around with Sliders prove successful? Only time will tell. If it doesn't, I'm really out nothing, except a little time, because I already have the baits and other equipment. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment