Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Day on the Water With Lots of Birds



Everywhere Rob and I went today, there were birds around. And while they spent a lot of time in the air over our heads, we only had to duck once. For a moment, it appeared that raindrops were falling from the blue sky, but I assured Rob that what we were seeing wasn't raindrops. Fortunately, we escaped without any direct hits on us or the boat. I haven't always been so lucky.

Before going any further, I have to say it indeed was a welcome change to have had a day on the water without getting blown from one end of the creek to the other. There really haven't been that many days like today this whole season.

For the record, I want to acknowledge that Rob and I weren't the only anglers in pursuit of bass this fine day. We first saw Bob Glass drive into the parking lot this morning, just moments before we shoved away from the ramp. Then, as we learned after returning dockside this afternoon, Skip Schaible also had come out this morning, as evidenced by the photo of this best fish of six that he boated in only about three hours of fishing.

I probably should point out at this juncture that I won't be talking about where people fished today or what lures they were using, simply because we're all in the same boat. We were prefishing for our season-ending two-day Classic this coming weekend, and I'm intent on keeping the playing field as even as possible. Besides that, I don't like to mess with my friends after they've asked me to keep something to myself.

Given my dismal day on the water yesterday, I honestly wasn't very hopeful when I left the house this morning, and for the longest of time, it appeared all my fears were going to be realized.

Finally, however, Rob and I found a few fish, capped off with this one, which we estimated at about 4 lbs. We weren't weighing any of our fish today, concentrating instead on just getting 'em back in the water as soon as possible. Oh, I very nicely let this one know there might be something in it for him in case he/she should decide to call again Saturday or Sunday.

For a good spell today, I actually thought I might be able to file a report, minus any mention of another moccasin. However, I did spot one before we came off the water. This time, though, there was a good distance between us, which is just the way I like it.

Today's trip undoubtedly was my last before the Classic. I have an appointment tomorrow, and I'll be busy Friday making sure I haven't left any loose ends with my planning for the season finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment