Wednesday, October 7, 2015

In Hindsight, I Could Have Slept Longer This Morning


From 8 o'clock this morning until about 10 minutes past noon today, I would have to sum up my day thus: a drill in futility. After throwing a spinnerbait, various crankbaits, and different topwaters, I had nothing to show for my efforts. I had had one fish on with the spinnerbait but lost it en route to the boat, and there had been three or four bream hits on the same bait--otherwise, though, nothing. That's the reason I said I easily could have slept longer this morning.

My fortunes finally changed about 12:10, when I boated this 1-12 on a chatterbait. It was a pretty solid strike, so I decided to stay with the chatterbait for a while. As it turned out, I'm glad I did.

I went on to catch three more on that bait, including a 1-0 and two dinks, before 1:40. I also got one other fish to the boat, but it came unbuttoned before I could bring it aboard. Given the way the fish was fighting, plus the quick glimpse I got of it beside the boat made me think I had hooked a small striper.

All the fish I boated came out of Albright's, where the water when I quit at 2 o'clock showed a reading of 70 degrees, compared to a starting temperature this morning of 65. The water color in Albright's and parts of West Neck was good today. Other areas in the latter, though, ranged from stained to downright dirty.

One thing distinctly different about today's trip was the absence of grass in shallow areas where, just a couple weeks ago, a fair amount had been showing. And what had been green grass along the shoreline also is quickly turning brown. It's plenty evident that another fall is making its appearance--the air temp as I pulled out of my driveway this morning was 58 degrees.

I had one anxious moment this afternoon when I realized that the cast I just had made probably was going to land at the exact spot where a moccasin just happened to be resting. I managed to cut the cast short but still spooked the snake, which turned and disappeared. Never did see where it went but kept a close eye on things until I was well past the area.

Don't know for sure when I'll get out again but do plan at least a couple more trips before our two-day Classic tournament Oct. 17th and 18th.

No comments:

Post a Comment