Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Had to Shake Off Some of the Rust


It was all about a "mushy" bite today, but after a couple weeks of sitting around doing nothing, I'll gladly settle for that or any other kind of bite. Don't reckon I could have expected anything better, given the 43-degree water temperature that existed when I launched at 9:30 this morning.

This 1-1 was my best fish of the day. I did catch three others, though, with each weighing about 14 ounces. And all four fish came between 1 o'clock and 2:30. I also had two other fish on during that timeframe but lost them. They both hit even "mushier" than the other four, and I didn't even realize they were on until I felt a slight tension and saw the line moving at an angle.

Between launch time and 12 noon, I worked the water above the bridge, all to no avail, even though I did see some swirls and watched a couple of fish break the surface. I then ran to a stretch of shoreline, on the other side of the bridge, that was productive for me most of this past summer. After losing a Bomber Square A to a submerged stump, I tied on another one in firetiger, and it wasn't long before I boated my first fish of the day. The other three fish also fell for the same bait.

At 2:30, however, it was like someone threw the "off" switch, and for the last 30 minutes of my day, my efforts amounted to a drill in futility.

I'm not sure when I'll get out again. This time of year, the weather--and Uncle Arthur--pretty much dictate whether I go or find something else to occupy my time.

1 comment:

  1. I was out at West Neck Tuesday, sorry I missed you. I only scored 2, one at the point with the power lines, another at the bridge. But I got off the water around 1 so maybe that's why I missed you, and the bite.

    ReplyDelete