Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oh How Many Times Have We All Been Fooled?


It isn't just golfers who often rely on weather forecasts. Some fishermen also have been known to let weather predictions influence our decision whether to go or stay home. And when my wife showed me this comic strip from the morning newspaper, I couldn't resist passing it on for the benefit of all those who, like myself, seldom read the comics on our own. I know my wife watches out for any she thinks I'll appreciate.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I make it a habit to check the weather radars for myself before a fishing trip, just to see whether I can believe what the local forecasters are saying. Here's an example of why: This past Wednesday morning, the local WVEC weather dude wasn't calling for any possibility of showers until late afternoon. However, when I checked the online radar, I saw a little speck of green heading straight for Virginia Beach. And just as soon as I opened the garage door and stuck my head out, what do you reckon started hitting me? Those "unpredicted" raindrops stayed with me all the way to West Neck Marina and still were falling for about 30 minutes after I had the boat rigged and ready to launch.

The rain doesn't stop me from going as often as it drives my decision about whether to throw my rain gear in the boat. The exception is when it looks like we'll be hit with strong thunderstorms throughout the day--I don't like to be sitting on the water with lightning and thunder crashing all around me. I want to believe there will be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment