Thursday, August 29, 2013

Not a Day I'll Likely Ever Forget


Today was anything but a typical fishing day, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I never see another one like it. Oh, I managed to boat a couple of small bass, but that somehow got lost among everything else that transpired.

It all started this morning while I was standing inside my boat shed, waiting for a shower to pass. I looked up at the top of one door on the back of my van and noticed that someone had tried to break in last night. I can only hope the low-life scumbag who tried to pry the top of the door open ended up breaking a finger or something worse. My dad had no use for a thief or would-be thief, and neither do I. Bottom line: Whoever it was didn't get in, and I was able to bend the metal back into shape somewhat, but that doesn't stop me from wishing ill on last night's intruder(s).

However, that's only the tip of the iceberg. I only had been out on the water a short while this morning when I noticed my trolling motor wasn't shutting off when I removed my foot from the pedal. An inspection revealed that one coil on the spring which sets under the on/off button had broken off, allowing the constant running. I solved that immediate problem by stretching out the coils left on the spring and then called Tom over in Suffolk and asked him to ship me a couple of new ones. As luck would have it, though, my friend, Skip, happened to be there at the shop this morning about his broken trolling motor, saw my order laying on the counter, and brought the replacement springs to me. You're a good man, Skip. Thanks.

There's still more, so please keep reading. The next thing I had to deal with was a couple of misguided seagulls. Now, we've probably all had those creatures dive on our topwater baits at one time or another, but how many of you have had them dive on your head? That's exactly what they were doing to me--and I don't mean only once or twice. They each did it for several minutes, and I'm still clueless for an answer why. Finally, though, they went elsewhere, and I returned to my fishing.

The last thing that happened came about 2 o'clock this afternoon, when I received a call from my wife, saying she was sitting in the emergency room with what the family doctor had said he thought was appendicitis. Turns out, he was right, and she had surgery at 11 o'clock last night. She was pretty groggy when I left her to come home and get a little sleep a bit ago, but the surgeon assured me she is going to be OK. They say she'll come home tomorrow or the next day, depending on how she's managing the pain with what they're going to give her.

Exactly one year ago today, my wife had to go through surgery to remove some cancerous cells from around her eye, and just a couple years ago, she had a miserable case of shingles. She desperately wants to have an uneventful year for a change here soon, and I certainly can't blame her. Everybody likes to catch a break every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment