Monday, August 12, 2013

To Me, It's a "No Brainer," But...

During my visit to West Neck Marina this afternoon, I strolled down to the ramp to snap a photo of the water-level gauge. That stroll made me an eyewitness to something that, in my opinion, is nothing short of stupid.

To set the scene, a bunch of youngsters just had returned from an excursion in kayaks, and three of them (two boys and a girl) were still there, along with the supervisors, a man and a woman. As I approached the one catwalk, the two boys were playing in the water on the ramp. Meanwhile, the young girl jumped off the ramp into the water. Then, all three of the youngsters started taking turns climbing up on the catwalks and jumping back into the water.

I couldn't help being flabbergasted as this activity unfolded in front of me, while the supervisors (whether they were the parents, I'm not sure) casually went about getting the kayaks ready for transport on a trailer. After getting my photo, I maintained a vigil several feet away until everyone safely was in the car and gone from the premises. I wanted to be sure someone would be nearby to call 9-1-1 if necessary.

At that point, I called Steve and verified what I already knew would be the case. He doesn't want anyone jumping and/or swimming in the ramp area. To do so is to invite trouble. Granted, the kids probably don't know any better, but those in charge don't have that excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment