Saturday, August 3, 2013

It Was Son's Turn in the Spotlight Today


Jerry did OK today--he boated six bass and a pickerel in West Neck Creek between 6 and 11:45 a.m. And he caught all of them in his spots north of the bridge on a couple of his favorite baits--a bubblegum Senko and a watermelon Fluke. But it was his son, Chris, who really shined today in his first trip to West Neck this season and only his second time ever of fishing this creek.







In Jerry's own words, "Chris just took my non-fishing butt to school today. He first broke out a package of soft plastics that neither of us ever had tried before." In no time, he had boated this 2-lb. 5-oz. bass.






Later came this fish, which, according to the scales Chris is using, weighed in at 3 lbs. 12 ozs.

These two bass, however, were only part of the story. Chris went on to catch another 15 bass on that new bag of soft plastics. Said Jerry at day's end, "When I asked him if I could tell what the lure was, he stuttered, so I guess that means no." And just so everyone knows, I don't have the inside track here. I'm as much in the dark as all the rest of you about what Chris was using today.

Considering that he staged this fishing clinic from the backseat of his dad's boat has to be a sweet feeling for Chris, and I'm sure it's putting a big smile on Jerry's face, too. The last line of Jerry's email to me noted, "I don't think I will have any problem getting Chris to go back to West Neck with me." How much ya wanna bet Dad will have some of his son's "secret" lures in his own tacklebox when that happens?

No comments:

Post a Comment